Do you keep a journal? I have a little hardcover book I jot down my thoughts, prayers and favorite verses each morning. Yesterday, I paged back through my journal to November, and found an entry where I asked God to help me develop a gratitude practice.
I had forgotten I ever prayed that prayer, because for the past 6 months, I’ve developed a gratitude practice in my morning routine. It’s simple: I make a list of 5 or 10 things that I’m grateful for, and give the thanks to the Lord for what He has done, is doing and is going to do.
So now I sit and hold a moment of gratitude for this journal, because it shows me how God answered my prayer. It’s tangible representation of what so often feels intangible.
Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
– Hebrews 11:1
Do you have a gratitude practice? Here are 5 easy steps to make it a part of your day:
1. Do it first thing in the morning. Before you check social media or emails, give a little quiet time to God.
2. Find a comfortable spot to sit in every day. Habits are formed by repetition.
3. Grab some paper and a pen. For some, a cute journal and pretty pen makes it fun and creates a celebration around gratitude.
4. Write “I am grateful to You, God” at the top of the page and number 1 through 10.
5. List one thing you are grateful for next to each number. Hold those thoughts for a moment as you make this list. Challenge your thoughts to not only focus on what God has done for your, but also envision the mountains He is moving for you right now and give praise with expectation of miracles.
“If you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.”
– Matthew 17:20
Before you know it, you won’t want to go a day without practicing gratitude, because you’ll notice how it shifts your perspective, brings you peace and gives you hope. Even when you’re busy, you can still make a habit of holding those thoughts of gratitude in your mind, even for just a moment.
And in a few months, reflect on those prayers and thanksgivings and see what mountains God has moved for you.
Owner/Founder, P’ri CBD